A Sydney schoolgirl accused of plotting to send thousands of dollars to Islamic State frontlines has been granted Supreme Court bail.
The 16-year-old, who cannot be named due to her age, was arrested last month after she was allegedly handed an envelope stuffed with $5000 cash in Guildford Park.
The Year 12 student, who has been in custody since her arrest, smiled as Justice Peter Hall granted her bail with tough conditions, including a $500,000 surety, on Friday.
In his reasons for granting bail, Justice Hall took into account the girl’s tender age and the fact she was in custody for the first time.
He said a psychologist had found she suffered from chronic adjustment disorder, depressed mood and anxiety, which developed last year.
She had described falling out with her peers over a year ago and suffered from discomfort in close relationships and social isolation, he said.
It’s alleged the girl, who is charged with knowingly collecting funds for a terrorist organisation, had agreed to help wire money and was in contact with a notorious Islamic State fighter.
The seriousness of her alleged offence meant she was not automatically entitled to bail and the Crown had submitted there were no exceptional circumstances to justify it.
Justice Hall ordered her to wear a monitoring device and not to use the internet or communication devices while on bail.
She is also prohibited from leaving her residence or having visitors without the supervision of an adult female relative.
Justice Hall’s decision comes after the girl was denied bail in a lower court last month.
Outside court, defence lawyer Zemarai Khatiz denied his client was a terrorist.
“She is just a 16-year-old girl,” he said.
Her matter is listed for the Parramatta Children’s Court on May 19.